Friday, September 10, 2010

Pollution is a problem here...

Hello world...

Its been about a week since I last posted I believe.  The days are finally staring to move a little faster now that we are getting into the rhythm of school, tech class, and studying.  It is Friday afternoon here and I have some free time so I figured I throw up an update.  The week was relatively routine with language classes in the AM and tech sessions in the afternoon.  Some highlights...Food: I had pork chops for dinner one night which was probably the best meal I've had since I have been in Banate.  My host family went to Iloilo (the city) on Thursday to buy various items for a birthday party on Saturday.  They brought back me a Philippines T-shirt and 1/2 of a roasted chicken, which was quite delicious.  Lastly on the food front I have discovered the best street food since I've been here...Fish balls.  There is a batter composed of fish (don't ask me what type)  and the vendor takes about a tablespoon scoop out of the pot and throws it in a wok full of oil.  They are 50 sentablos per ball, so I ordered 20 for 10 pesos.  They have a sweet sauce as well as a spicy sauce to dip the balls into, excellent.  I will now be a sukisuki (regular customer) at the fish ball vendor. 

As far as language goes we have been learning numbers, how to order/get food at the market, composing simple sentences, and going over some culture things.  For instance, how Amercians are geared towards a monochronic time system while the Philippines is geared toward a polychronic time system.  We all went to the market as a class on Thursday and identified veggies, fruits, various types of fish, and meats.  I'm glad we were able to go with our teacher because the market is one of the most interesting places in town.  Getting there early in the morning is a key because everything is freshly butchered/caught.  There is an array of 20-30 different types of fruits and veggies.  Enormous hunks of pork and beef hanging from nails, whole chickens available for sale accompanied with their feet, intestine (which I've already sampled), liver, etc.  Some foods we can bargain down and sometimes they will throw in some extra when you say "pa aman."  But, I don't think any of my fellow volunteers and I are quite good enough to drive down a price/kg yet.  However, I was successful getting a few extra rambutons thrown in my bag. 

Technical training is going well.  We had our first rounds of presentations this week.  Dan did his on mangroves, Tyler on the coastal environmental profile, and Laura on seagrass.  I have my presentation in October on solid waste management.  Today we were finally able to get out in the water so to speak and do a mangrove assessment.  We made a box, 10 meters per side and surveyed the mangroves classifying them into species, diameter, crown width, and other technical categories.  It went well except for the fact the beach we went to was extremely polluted to say the least.  Bags of trash, broken beer and liquor bottles, rats, human waste was scattered all over the beach/water.  We had to go out 10 meters so we were about knee deep in the water and I have developed a little rash on my legs.  After we finished our survey we were packing up and the local children that live in the nipa huts on the beach were chasing down something.  It turned out to be a rat that they caught and beaten to death with a stick.  Also, the kids were catching larva and trying to get them to fight, pretty interesting....  I just hope my site isn't like the beach we went to today, very sad and discouraging. 

The kids on my street have fixed the basketball hoop that was blown down by the last typoon and are yelling at me to play with them.  So I will be taking off.   Lastly, I am going to be trying BALUT for dinner.  For you who do not know what it is type it in google... Next update to come soon

3 comments:

  1. Wow Bob stepping out into the local menu! Was in Chicago till Saturday talking to Nida. She was VERY impressed you were trying the Balut. She has had the fish balls in the wok but is passing on the Balut. Popa was all over all 4 of your correspondences, keep them coming! Get that rash looked at, I hear a few of your fellow workers got very sick. Be careful at the market, Nida says your learning good habbits, get to that market first! Keep working hard concentrating on being a unit with your fellow Corps workers. If you see more nasty beaches with rats and waste. I believe there is something to be said in going through this together. Be careful, enjoy and keep your concentration high! You are coming up on a month, we are very proud of you. As we have been watching many polo games (they are 4-1 lost to LMU 7-6 Colin is playing some might travel) EVERYONE we tell your story too has the same response "that is so admirable" "helping fols is what its all about!" "what great dedication" "great beginning of a career" Keep it up Bob, we miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting post Bob. Glad to hear that the language skills are improving man. When I lived in the Dominican we used to go to the market every Saturday. Just keep going to the same vendors, assuming their food is fresh, and they'll start throwing you stuff for free. There can't be many white guys around there so they know you've got money and options on where to shop.

    The beach situation is sad to hear about, but that's why your there. I'm sure your seeing some amazing coast lines and beaches. Just make sure you're rinsing off and avoid going in when you have cuts.

    Week One in football was pretty good. Chargers forgot how to play in the rain/wind however. Cutler looked good, despite the bears almost losing. Keep those pictures coming man and I look forward to your next post. Take it easy man.

    Krys

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I was on ESPN.com reading about the Chargers loss to the CHIEFS!! yikes. But it was only week 1 so way to early to call anything. I just posted another update with some more pictures.

    ReplyDelete