Saturday, October 9, 2010

My new Haircut

Well I am now back at my training site (Banate).  I returned home on Sunday afternoon after about a 2 hour trip from Buenavista, Guimaras (my permenate site).  This week was filled with lots of activities for language and also CRM. 
For our language class we are starting to get out of the classroom and interact with the people on the streets.  In my opinion it is a superior way of learning because we are forced to speak Ilonggo.  It also is always nice to get out of the classroom and outside anyway.  On Monday our assignment was to go to the local high school and just talk to students.  So our cluster, six of us walked over to the high school and sat down and tried to have a conversations.  Filipinos are very shy, especially the girls.  When I would try to talk to one and ask them their name they would just smile and put their hand over their mouth.  I had to keep repeating myself until they would finally answer.  Once they start to talk though it is hard to get them to stop.  There was a fundraiser going on at the school to raise money for their audio visual room.  They had "weddings" for 5 pesos.  As per usual, all eyes were on us being the only Americans in the entire school.  A girl approached us and asked if we would get "married."  So, Lindsay and I went up for fun and we were given rings and I had to put on a jacket that went half way up my wrist.  Lindsay didn't even attempt to put the wedding dress on.  After the fundraiser was over we walked around the school some more and played kick kick with the kids.  The game involves a .25 sentablos coin and they wrap it around a piece of plastic and it is held together by a rubber band.  You kick the coin in a circle and try not to let it hit the ground.  Think hackey sack, but instead of a ball you use this coin.  On Wednesday we were all assigned to go to different place in the town and interview people.  I drew the Pali Pali which is the fish wholesale market.  I had to ask a guy who worked there what kind of fish they sold, where they came from, etc.  I was speaking to him and the next thing I know there is a crowd of 30 people standing around me watching me interview this guy.  I have been here for about two months and I still haven't gotten used to the attention that I draw.  People constantly stare at me, adults and children both.  I'm pretty sure in Filipino culture staring is not considered rude because they don't even try to hid it.  People literally turn their entire heads as I or a group of fellow volunteers walk by. 
On the CRM front we had our big presentation to the mayor and other government officals on Thursday.  We have been compiling tons of data: soci economic surveys, coral reef, seagrass, mangrove assessments, fish census, etc in order to implement a community project at the end of October.  So Sam and myself were assigned to present the fish census that we conducted about a month ago.  We had a pretty good turnout, about 30 people came listen to our presentation.  It went ok... We found that 77% of the population here think  that trash is a major issue, but when we asked what kind of community project they wanted us to do they all said alternative livelihood projects.  Example of an alternative livelihood project would be making a purse or bag out of trash and then trying to sell it at the local market.  Since we are supposed to do something C.R.M related we were very hesitant in agreeing.  We put in lots of work and all of our data pointed to Solid Waste Management.  So, we ended our meeting with no community project that we could all agree on.  We had another meeting last night and we finally convinced them that we would help set up a MRF (materials recovery facility).  So, the next few weeks we will be trying to find a site, holding community meetings, and teaching people about our MRF.  We will be trying to get the community to segregate their glass, aluminum, scrap metal, etc and bring it to the MRF.  When a family gathers enough items to bring to the MRF it will be weighed and logged in a book.  We need to coordinate with a local company to establish a regular pick up for the MRF.  Once the items are picked up from the MRF they will be given pesos depending on how much "scrap" there is.  They will consult the log book and money will be distributed to each family based on the amount of scrap they brought to the MRF that week or month.  
On Thursday evening after our presentation, all the male volunteers decided to shave mo hawks.  I was the last one on the bandwagon because my hair is not exactly ideal.  But I included a picture below to show everyone the hair that I am now sporting.


NEW HAIRCUT
Sam and I presenting our fish census.
Ok that is all for now, new post to come next week I think.
Dason lang-
Robert

4 comments:

  1. Robert,

    Things seem to be going pretty well. You seem to be adjusting and getting along. Sounds like an active social and eating life! Between work, all the birthday parties and eating weird food, you'll be a local before you know it.

    Nice hairdo! At least you'll save on shampoo! After the stuff you've eaten, food back here in the states will seem boring to you. Well, take care and enjoy yourself!

    Charlie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah my haircut is pretty funny. I am doing well and adapting to the life here without flaw. Food at home will never be boring, many of my fellow volunteers and I are happy to take an hour plus bus ride for a cheeseburger! Thanks for keeping up with my blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robert, I posted a commemt but for some odd reason it didn't go thru.. Just got back from Ct so it was good to read all the news. take care, miss you. Love Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a sweet due to keep you cool! The food looks like it is affecting the eyes? That is a tough mug shot! Smile more and keep working on the language! Grandma/Popa out glad we could show you Keela who is growing like a weed! Eel has her at a trainer as you are our hound is learning! That easel looks very western for the learning experience hope your schooling goes well. Pay Attention no late night Rum slamings!! Be safe!

    ReplyDelete