Monday, November 15, 2010

Training is Tapos na!

The last few weeks here in the P.I. have been by far the busiest and most exciting since I have arrived wayyy back in mid August.  I think I will start with the LPI... We took the LPI a few weeks back during our last week of training in Banate.  It consisted of a lady from the PeaceCorp office whom none of us have ever met giving us our exam.  She was born in an Ilonggo speaking region, but grew up speaking Cebuano or another dialect.  It was a little difficult to understand her because she had a little different accent than my teacher and the people in Banate.  It was about a 35-40 minute conversation between the two of us and it was also tape recorded.  She asked me things like: "tell me what you do for fun."  "Describe your host family and your family in America."  "what is the role of the PeaceCorp" "explain your training and permanent site"  I came out of the gate really well and about 20ish mins into the conversation I started to struggle a little.  She gave me a card and we did a role play in which I had to ask about the important spots in town. (Home,Market, Bus station, where to get clean water, etc.).  When we stopped it was a great relief to finally be over and I wouldn't get my results until the next week.  Also, she refused to say ANYTHING in English, so I had to keep telling her to "hinay hinay lang" which means slow down and "liwat" which means repeat, quite often. 

Our last weekend in Banate we had a handog which is a sort of thank you for all the families who hosted PeaceCorp Trainees for the past 11 weeks.  It was pretty emotional, there were a lot of tears and it was difficult to say goodbye.  We all have developed deep bonds with our host families and I know I will never forget them and the amazing hospitality they showed me.  My host mom gave a little bottle of Lambonog which is a distilled spirit from the palm tree as a going away present.  As I was saying goodbye the next morning I gave my host sister a hug (3 yrs old).  I picked her up and as I was pulling her away from me she slapped me right across the face and it wasn't a love tap.  But, you would have to know her to appreciate the "kind gesture."  I was sad to leave Banate, but also very excited to move on to my next site and challenge.

We went to Bacolod City which is about a 1 hour bus ride and 1 hour boat ride from my training site for our Counterparts conference and for our swearing in ceremony.  I think we arrived on Sunday and we got to know our counterparts and did numerous activities to try and plan out our next two years.  Swearing in was on Thursday afternoon at the capital.  It was really cool...we pulled up to a Filipino drum band playing and excitement filled the air.  There also was MAJOR swat and police presence because of the anti American sentiment and also because Harry Thomas; ambassador to the Philippines swore us in.  The ceremony lasted about 2 hours and we had a little reception afterward.  My camera died during the middle of it so I wasn't able to get that many pictures.  We found out our LPI results the next day, and I passed with a score of Intermediate Mid.  The highest score out of the 12 CRM volunteers was Intermediate High and there were 4 out of the 12 of us who did not pass the LPI.  They will have to retake it every 3 months until they pass it.

I am now at my final site in Buenavista, Gumiaras and have just completed my first work day!  I used a typewriter to do our weekly calendar that was most definitely older than my parents.  My counterpart  had to be teach me  how to use the thing.  I had to get up in front of the mayor and numerous other government officals and introduce myself and why I was here all in Ilonggo.  It actually went very well because nobody expected me to speak their language.  So, I got a crazy stares, laughs, and a good ovation.  My counterpart put me on a basketball team with other g'ment officals in a league which we play 2 times per week.  The mayor is on my team too, however we lost by 2 points tonight.  Afterward I was invited to have some soup and Coke with the other team (water district).  That is all and since I do not have to work tomorrow (hero's day) I will be going to some beaches.
dason lang
Robert 

4 comments:

  1. Hey Robert,

    Sounds like things are going pretty well and you're staying busy. That's pretty good to be able to converse in a foreign language after just a few months. Especially with all the different dialects.

    Well, you're going to miss Thanksgiving and grandma's donuts! We'd send you some, but I don't think they would ship too well. If you can't get some turkey, maybe knock down a couple of balut. It could be a new Thanksgiving tradition for you!

    Glad to hear you're doing well, and keep up with the posts. They're always interesting.

    Take care,

    Charlie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Robert,

    Happy Thanksgiving! Hope everything is still going well in the PI. I'm loving the blog and reading about your experiences. Take care, Katy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Que onda Roberto! Congrats on passing the LPI on your first try, that is awesome. I knew you could do it homeboy, especially seeing as how you CARRIED me through Frau Lettang's Deutsch classes in high school, haha.

    I am happy to hear that you are doing well and meeting amazing people. Pretty badass that you are playing on a bball team with the mayor too... just gotta work on getting those Ws!

    Keep doing it up big and making a positive and powerful difference.

    Out... LATE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great news on passing the test but EASE up on your old parents being compared to a typewriter!! I probably sold ribbons for that machine and you would be jacked if you didn't have it! Everything has a purpose and I guess mine is to get OLD!!!! Great news on working the language in your favor. I know you were concern about that. Seems like the work has paid off 2nd highest out of 12 I know you wanted intermediate high but YOU PASSED! There were 4 that did not. Keep rubbing elbows and giving elbows on the court with those local officials. Post strong and go to the hoop Americano!!
    We love you Old Man and Old Lady

    ReplyDelete