Tuesday, February 1, 2011

1st month of the new year

Hello all...
The snail paced Internet at my host family's house went down sometime about two weeks ago.  I had a blog post written out on my computer and saved on my external hard drive to post.  However, I have better luck winning the lottery than finding a wireless connection at my site.  So, since I am so dedicated to all 15 of my followers to keep you all up to date I am writing a new one at an Internet cafe by my house.  Well I think my last post was just at New Years so I will share some of the CRM stuff I have done this month of January.  Starting with submitting our final draft for 50,000 pesos for our tilapa cage project to the provincial government.  My counterpart and I started writing it the first few weeks at site and turned in our rough draft probably about 6 weeks ago.  A representative from the provincial government came into our office last week to critique it and we ended up doing a pretty good job.  The main goal is within the next year is to get both local fisherfolk and farmers to be able to rent or own a tilapa cage in which we will provide training for them so they can grow and end up selling the fish they culture as an alternative livelihood.  This is really good news because the main project that I am heading up at my site is an MPA and this will cut fisherfolks income who fish within the MPA now.  So, this will provide them with an alternate way to make some more cash to feed their families.  We should be hearing back with our funding within the next 4 weeks, then we can take the next steps like finding a few sites for clean water impoundments, getting cages, feed, etc.  Another thing I finished up here in January is a proposal to my supervisor to get 2 other PCV's up here during the last week of February (my birthday) to conduct an assessment of our proposed MPA.  I got about 3900 pesos for transportation for the other two PCV's, food, and the other necessary materials for conducting our assessment.  Once that is done I will start on a VEG grant (volunteers for environmental governance) to get money to get our MPA up and running.  If your noticing a common thread here it is that there is not much money to be had which makes doing projects extremely challenging. But, this is just another challenge that we as CRM PCV's here in the Philippines must face.  It really depends on where you were placed because some sites have more money and drive to get things done than others.  Lastly on the CRM front I hope my counterpart and I will be able to finish the surveys of the 16 costal brgys sometime soon so we can present our fisherfolk data of Buenavista to the provincial government.  We have 7 done and currently and I have complied all the data in an Excel spreadsheet...so now its just a matter of getting the last 9 done.

I sprained my thumb in the second week of January playing basketball in our league.  It was playoffs and we had won our first game and I went out in the fourth quarter because I thought I had broke it for sure.  We ended up losing that game to the PNP (police) and they ended up winning the league later on that week.  But, the story that comes with the thumb is something I need to tell.  So, I immediately left the game and told my counterpart I think its broken.. so we get into some random guys car and he starts driving to what I think is the small hospital we have here in my municipality.  But, I soon realize that is NOT the case.. we drive 20 mins to some far flung area and pull up at this guys nipa hut and he comes out and takes me off to the side.  He speaks absolutely zero English.  So I am trying to tell him that I think its broken and I need an X ray, he clearly has no idea what i am talking about because he starts yanking on my thumb trying to relocate because I guess he thinks its dislocated.  I am screaming at the top of my lungs for him to stop, but this doesn't deter him he gives it three more violent tugs and puts some weird cream on my thumb and say "ok na."  Easily on of the most painful experiences in my life.  These guys are called hilot hilots and they are basically local "doctors" in really rural areas that have no medical degree, but sure ancient remedies and such.  I ended up going to a real hospital the next day and there was no break, but I had to wear a bandage on my thumb for 3 weeks and it is better now.  I actually played for the first time this morning, so it seems to have recovered fully.

I will be headed up to Manila this weekend to grab some materials for our assessment in February and then I will off to meet up with Morgan at her site which is about a 2 hour bus ride from Manila.  We are gonna do some camping and hopefully some scuba diving since her site has lots of dive shops where I can rent some gear.  I am dying to scuba dive, but it is something I am going to have to do away from my site because we dont have the money or the dive shops here for gear.  Lastly, my regional manager from the PeaceCorps will be coming to my site on Friday...she will  be talking to my host family, supervisor, and counterpart.  Then I will be taking her to the place I am trying to live at when I can move out on Feb. 15th.  That is all for now.
Dason lang
Robert

5 comments:

  1. hey robierre! guess who FINALLY got your da to help me!!!! we r @ panera. will get back to u later tater.

    ReplyDelete
  2. another howdy from snow town. just realized i posted my comment after your christmas blog. dont know how i messed that up but hopefully i will get better at this. i may figure it out two years after you are safely home.
    love + kisses, AChristi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to get another blog & up to date on your activites. Sounda like a long process for everything. Sure you heard about our 20" of snow this week. Could have used you out on our driveway with the blower. You probably can't even imagine snow right now. Take care, miss you. Love, Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear its picking up at your site. I now have aunt Cristy up on your blog! I hope the trip to Morgans site was uneventful and you didn't need the local witch doctors. I know you have your moms patience as I would have been a little hot! The language barrier is tough enough but when you asking for X-Ray and he coming at you with cream its time for the hospital. Sounds like your back on the court which is good exercise while the humidity is under 95%!! You know the term fighting city hall especially when it comes to funding. I know who important those MPA'S are to your work. If you can subsidize the local fishermen it should work. How about getting that regional manager to meet with some of the decision makers while she is out looking at your new place to live? Having some more PCV come out would be great company and help with those 9 other areas you need to asses. Mom has been going to town on your room. Pulling all those old moldings and shelves off. We are looking at your rise in the circle of life. Of course starting with your BLANKEE, to the ice hockey awards into varsity water polo captain at Mater Dei then that huge frame housing your Marquette diploma. All challenges well done. A new challenge over seas stay focused it will work out and be very so rewarding!! Hope you are watching the game looks like the Pack have a chance. Darn Bears game them a better half!!
    Stay focused, safe and in touch.
    Never forget how proud we are of what your doing! Keep us informed
    Love You
    Mom/Da

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Rob,

    I just finished reading the last three of your posts back to back to back... Just busted a 3 peat on it like Kobe and Co. Sounds like you are having one hell of a life experience over yonder. I especially liked the part in your past blog where you talked about your "Soprano" circle of friends. I can tell by the way you write your blog that you have absolutely no regrets and are taking everything in stride.

    The crew has already started planning our next summer trip and we have a pretty hilarious email string going... mostly about McCarty and his lack of MMA skills, haha. This trip definitely won't be the same without you but we all know you are having an adventure of a lifetime. Keep making a difference over there brother, and make sure to leave behind something positive that will make a huge difference to the local people. Be safe out there and be sure to dominate that paint in your bball games!

    Tu Amigo,
    Rick Collazo

    ReplyDelete